Mom,
Isn't it interesting how Heavenly Father teaches us through our past? Or perhaps he just programed me to be too slow to catch those lessons in the present. I'm grateful for the ability to ponder my yesterdays. I want you to know that I will forever be impacted by the memories of the 19 years that I spent with you every day. With every memory of time spent with my mom, comes a lesson that brings me closer to my Heavenly Father.
Interesting how our Heavenly Father gives us a father and mother as trainers, before he sends us out into the world to put our training into practice. One thing I've learned from you is the importance of agency. I remember one Friday evening as a 15 year old Sophmore, preparing to go out and entertain the cool Senior invites to a big Senior Graduation party. I dropped into your room to say goodbye only to see you & Dad getting off their knees. Dad explained that you had both prayed about it, and for whatever reason didn't feel good about me attending this particular party. I kept trying to ask you what you though would be so bad, and both of you had nothing besides a strong spiritual prompting. Finally I asked, "So you're saying you won't let me go?" You clarified, "Based on what we're feeling from the spirit, what do you think you should do?" I dashed off to my bedroom in my teenage tantrum, and screamed into my pillow in frustration, and even shed some tears (Over a party? Seriously Devin??). And after a few minutes, you knocked at the door, sat by my bedside, and started to rub my back. "What are you going to do, Devin?" And mostly out of guilt at the time, I confirmed that I wouldn't be going to the party. With this experience, and many more, you always taught me true principles, and allowed me to practice my agency. As I try to be an effective father, I strive to lay out choices and consequences, and thereby teach my children how to correctly use their agency while they are young. That's how my mom taught me.
I love you Mom! You are the perfect Mother for me. Happy Mothers Day!
Devin

No comments:
Post a Comment